Enable in Cornwall is a registered charity working with people aged 16 and above who have a physical disability and/or sensory impairment and live in Cornwall.
We offer free information, advice, guidance and support to assist clients in overcoming barriers they may face in accessing training, education, voluntary work or paid employment. Moreover, we devote the time and resources necessary to empower disabled citizens to assume active and purposeful roles in their communities.
Enable is part of a vision committed to the transformation of Adult Social Care so that the phrase 'putting people first' can become a reality.
We freely facilitate people who are disabled by their environment to gain more power and control over their lives. Self-help is enabled through clients identifying their own goals and deciding what support they need to gain employment, undertake a voluntary activity or attend a training course/educational programme.
Our project is managed by a Board of Directors, of which a majority are disabled people. This is of fundamental importance to our work as we believe only disabled people can fully understand the barriers disabled people face when trying to access training and work.
- We offer a free service to which people can self-refer or be referred by other organisations.
- Some clients are disabled from birth while others have had accidents or strokes in later life that have forced life changing circumstances on individuals and their family's.
- Each client has an advisor who develops a relationship suited to the needs and aspirations of the disabled person.
- Advisors visit clients in their own homes, an informal discussion then takes place as to what they would like to achieve and an action plan is completed.
- Advisors research available options, addressing issues like transport and funding where necessary.
- Assistance is available if required for compiling CV's.
- Job searches are undertaken by advisors to ensure no opportunities are overlooked.
- If required, advisors will accompany clients to interviews or support them during their first day at training courses to help with the paperwork etc.
When clients have been placed in work or training Enable staff continue to keep in regular contact until clients decide they no longer need support. Therefore, the organisation provides a comprehensive service geared to the priorities of individuals with the intent of making permanent and positive changes to their lives.
T: 01208 77711