DIAL logo for disAbility Cornwall
We provide an independent, confidential and free information and advice service to people living with a long term health condition or disability, their families, carers and professionals.

Our dedicated DIAL service provides support across a full range of disability related enquiries:

  • Money & Welfare Entitlements
  • Housing & Home Environment
  • Training, Volunteering & Employment
  • Social & Leisure Opportunities
  • Independent Living & Equipment
  • Health & Well-being

Please scroll down to access our online factsheets and information guides.

Our advice service is available Monday to Friday between 10am and 3pm and has an answering machine where you can leave a message outside these hours. You can also email us at any time. We aim to respond to all enquiries within one working day.

Community Talks

Our advisers are available for community talks to local groups where we can raise awareness of our services and provide information & advice relevant to your group. Please get in touch if this is something you are interested in.

We are audited for the  Advice Quality Standard and all advisers are friendly, professionally trained and qualified to meet your needs.

Please have a look at our comprehensive range of self-help information guides and tools, which are available below.


Frequently asked questions

At present we are unable to offer drop in or outreach services. However, we can see people by appointment at our offices in Hayle. Please call us to book an appointment.

Of course! It’s free and takes little time, so please just contact us and we’ll do the rest.

We continually update a range of resources and fact sheets on our website. For people who may be unable to access these or have difficulty, we can provide further telephone advice, and where necessary a one to one appointment.

We can advise you on how to correctly complete your benefit entitlement form, either over the telephone or by an appointment at our office in Hayle.

Tel: 01736 759500

The Blue Badge Scheme is a concessionary parking scheme for people with severe mobility problems, people who are registered blind and those who have severe disabilities in both arms. To request a Blue Badge, contact Cornwall Council.

Blue Badge Department: 0300 1234121

The companies listed below all hire wheelchairs in addition to independent living aids and equipment, with the exception of Cornwall Mobility, which doesn’t hire wheelchairs, but does assess and supply both adults and children for independent living equipment including wheelchairs.

Cornwall Mobility Truro 01872 272878  www.cornwallmobility.co.uk
HSC Mobility Hayle 01736 755927 www.hsc-mobility.co.uk
Unique Mobility Launceston 01566 774030 www.uniquemobility.co.uk
Pro Mobility Helston 01326 59494 www.promobility.co.uk
Tremorvah Industries Truro 01872 324340 www.tremorvah.co.uk

There is a range of accessible holiday accommodation available throughout the county and to find out what’s currently available, please click on the link below.


You may be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from Cornwall Council and further details can be found on their website.


The websites listed below are all good places to check out if you need to apply for a grant or assistance with funding. We have successfully referred people to all of the ones listed below:

www.cornwall.gov.uk (Search this website for Disabled Facilities Grants if you need adaptations to your home)

The two listed below are specifically for people who have served in the Armed Forces and their families, whether currently serving or have in the past:


The following organisations all provide assistance with transport, but certain charges will apply.

Age UK Cornwall Volunteer Transport (TAP) 01872 223388
Volunteer Cornwall Transport 01872 265300
The British Red Cross 01872 272878

To see if you are entitled to join the Motability scheme, please contact them direct.

Tel: 0300 4564566

Cornwall Mobility can do this for you as well as offering car services and repairs and driving assessments.

Tel: 01872 254920

People require advocates for many different reasons, so it’s best to contact us first so we can find out a little more information and then advise you appropriately.

Tel: 01736 759500

You can obtain free and confidential advice by contacting ACAS.

Tel: 0300 123 110

Both the Citizens Advice (0344 411 1444) and the National Debt Line can help you.

Tel: 0808 8084000

There is a Handyperson Scheme in the county for certain small jobs who charge reasonable hourly rates which are also discounted if you are on certain benefits and they will give you a free no obligations quote.

Tel: 01872 224707

Cornwall Council’s Housing Options Scheme offers advice and assistance for individuals, families and landlords across Cornwall on a wide range of housing issues including advice and help on homelessness and prevention. Shelter and Homegroup can also give you impartial advice on housing issues.

For Cornwall Council's Housing Options Scheme, search on the main Cornwall Council website: www.cornwall.gov.uk

Shelter: www.shelter.org.uk
Homegroup: www.homegroup.org.uk/stonham

Cornwall Sports Partnership work with the Activity Alliance to deliver an inclusive programme for all young people and adults with a disability, enabling them to participate in mainstream sport. Visit their website to see what is on offer.


Sand Chairs are lightweight all terrain chairs, which can be used on accessible beaches in Cornwall during the summer season and there are currently 16 located on various beaches around the county. To find out more about their locations and respective hiring information, please click on the link below:

Beach wheelchair hire in cornwall

If you provide regular and substantial help to somebody who could not manage without your support, you are a carer. Every carer is entitled to a Carers Assessment, to determine their own support needs and possible eligibility for some financial support from Cornwall Council. Contact the Adult Care, Health & Wellbeing Directorate to request an assessment.

Tel: 0300 1234131 for adults
Tel: 0300 1234101 for children

There is also a range of dedicated services provided by the Kernow Carers Service, including support workers and a small grants programme. Please contact the Kernow Carers Service Helpline for further information.

Tel: 0800 5878191

You can find more information about how to obtain a radar key by clicking on the link below.


The specialists in this area are Community Energy Plus who can give independent advice on any current schemes that may be applicable to you.

Tel: 0800 954 1956

Ask a Question

Where to Find Us

Units 1G/H Guildford Road Industrial Estate
Guildford Road
TR27 4QZ


Sign up to receive our weekly
e-newsletter. Full of interesting information!

Sign up

Quality Standards

disability confident